Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Attempt #1: Hummus

Here's me in three words: I. Can't. Cook.

Beyond making scrambled eggs and heating frozen chicken in the oven, I am utterly and completely useless in the kitchen (did you know that I haven't ever made myself a grilled cheese sandwich?). I am attempting to change this. Armed with beginner's cookbooks and a spatula, I am marching into the kitchen, and I am declaring WAR. This blog shall host the details of my victories (and my inevitable losses) in the kitchen.

Round One: Kim vs. Hummus

I am bound and determined to be able to make this by Christmas, so I can have it out and available for the family's Christmas "dinner" (rather than a full-fledged meal, we stick to grazing on finger foods for Christmas). Here is the recipe I found and attempted:

1 can chickpeas (separate 1/4 cup of liquid from can)
3-5 tbsp lemon juice (I went in the middle and used 4)
1 1/2 tbsp tahini
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Throw everything into a food processor and blend until smooth.
Garnish with paprika.

I would have included a picture, but I'm having technical difficulties with my camera at the moment...but hopefully, each recipe I try will be accompanied by a picture of my final result (no matter how hideous it may turn out).

This recipe was close, but no cigar. I'm not sure if I didn't process long enough (it felt like it was forever though), but the texture just wouldn't smooth out quite right. Maybe my processor's shoddy, I don't know. The first thing I noticed when it hit my tongue (on some nice, warm pita bread) was GAH! Lemon juice! Note to self, four tablespoons is too much...

The next thing I noticed was the tahini. I had a hard time telling if I used too much or too little though because I was still battling the aftertaste of that excessive lemon juice. Actually, the aftertaste of the whole thing was pretty good though. It was pretty garlicky, but I think I like that. I have a different recipe to try now (and LESS LEMON JUICE), but I'll wait until all of this round is eaten before I attempt that.

The kitchen won this battle, but the war has only just begun! Until next time!


SCORE: KITCHEN - 1 KIM - 0

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I love that you're doing this! I hope you get this recipe down by Christmas. I love Hummus! I buy the Athenos kind. My favorite is the roasted red pepper. Yummmmmmm..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hummus, too (hmmm...that could be why I'm trying to make it...). I've got friends that make yuuuuummmmmyy hummus. Gonna try one of their recipes for it next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think with hummus you kind of have to play with the proportions as you're making it to figure out what you like. I like a thinner consistency so I use a lot of oil, and I even add water if I think it's too thick. You have to run it through the food processor for a REALLY long time to break down the chickpeas, those things are beasts.

    ReplyDelete