Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Attempt #3: Hummus Again...

Ah, now this one went muuuuuch better than my last try. The previous recipe, I found online. This one, I got from my dear friend Lisa. :) While it didn't turn out quite as magnificent as hers, it came pretty dang close. Sorry if you don't want your recipe plastered up here, but here's what I did this time:

1 can of drained chickpeas (leave a little bit of the liquid in)
3 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1 tsp ground cumin (ok, maybe a little more than that)
1 tsp ground red pepper
pinch of creole seasoning (wasn't gonna buy it, but we actually had
some in the cupboard)
pinch of salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Throw into food processor and blend for approximately 3 hours (ok, exaggerating there...)

The mixture was a little thick for our food processor to handle. I still can't get the texture quite right. Those chickpeas are pretty stubborn. Looking at my final result, I grabbed my first pita chip and dug in. This time, the hummus was a much more pleasant blend of flavors. Using more tahini and less lemon juice balanced out quite
nicely. The cumin added a LOT to the overall taste, as well. I know the creole
seasoning sounds a bit odd. Hummus is a Middle Eastern dish (or is it Mediterranean...?), and New Orleans is no where near that area. But I think Lisa added it for a bit of extra spicyness (right?), and since I liked hers so much, and had it on hand, I threw in a little bit, too.

Hopefully, I remembered her recipe correctly. Assuming I did, then why did it not quite turn out as perfect? Mine was just a teensy weensy bit more bland (but still quite good on the whole). I'm assuming I just need more of the spices. That's what they're for, right?



No picture today, simply because I'm lazy. I plan on making this for our Christmas grazing as well, so maybe I'll take a picture of it then, too.

Until my next kitchen adventure! Adieu!

SCORE: KITCHEN - 1 KIM - 2

P.S. Again, sorry for the layout issues. I've used blogger for over a year, and I have no idea why it's acting crazy. It indented more than I meant to, and now it won't let me un-indent...whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment